Lip augmentation (often times referred to as lip enhancement) is very popular at Dr. Mune Gowda’s plastic surgery centers located in Troy & Novi, MI. Even if you were blessed with full, luscious lips, hormonal changes, sun exposure and ageing all lead to a loss of volume in the lips. The upper lip in particular thins and tends to lengthen with aging. The good news is that lip enhancement today is safe, simple and surprisingly affordable. There are several treatment options for individuals to consider that the plastic surgeon employs to help improve lip fullness and contour. Depending on your preference the board certified plastic surgeon performs a number of enhancement techniques, such as fat grafting, dermal-fat grafting, and injectables.
* To schedule a confidential consultation simply call (248) 305-8400 or click here to request a consultation via our online form.
Our best in class board certified plastic surgeon is a specialist in using dermal filler to correct wrinkles and folds and add volume to sunken skin or thin lips. The intention of a lip enhancement is to give you the lips you’ve always wanted. For some individuals with very thin lips, the goal may be to have a more normal appearance. For others, very thick and sexy lips are the goal.
The Main Reasons Patients Seek Lip Augmentation Include:
- Upper lip too thin or turned in
- Lips generally losing volume with age
- Reduced definition of lip borders
- Lines above, below, and around lips, including “smoker’s lines”
- The desire fuller lips
- Concern about the shape of lips
A dermal filler lip enhancement treatment typically takes just 15 minutes and results are immediate. Our preferred brand of dermal filler has been demonstrated to be safe for all skin tones, so anyone can try it. What’s more, there’s minimal (if any) recovery and no downtime.
The Two Major Methods of Lip Enhancement/ Augmentation
- The first involves filler materials (also known as cosmetic injectables) such as hyaluronic acid. These methods are all temporary, each lasts for a different length of time and all have different risks. In general though all are relatively instantaneous in their results have little or no down time and have lower one- time costs than surgery.
- The second method for lip enhancement is surgery. The most effective surgical technique for augmentation is fat grafting. The major advantage to fat grafting is that the material used to augment your lip is your own natural fat. The fat is suctioned out of an area of excess, processed to maximize survival and re-injected into the lips. The resulting fat usually undergoes a small degree of shrinkage but usually leaves a permanently fuller lip which is natural and soft and gives great results for lip enhancement.
Lip Injectable Options:
A dermis-fat graft is a segment of skin, from which the external layer was removed and placed as a flat or rolled-up sheet under a sunken area. Dermal-fat grafting helps to provide stability and strength to the lips. As compared to fat grafting, a deeper aspect of the skin (“dermis”) is used for transfer and enhancement.
Injectables/ Dermal Fillers
Dermal fillers are substances that are injected just below the surface of the lips to fill in lines and wrinkles. Fillers add volume to the lips for a more natural appearance.
Collagen injections plump and smooth the lips. Most collagens are biodegradable, naturally breaking down after several months, but others are intended to be a permanent fix.
Restylane is one of the world’s most popular cosmetic fillers. This FDA- approved, non-animal hyaluronicacid composition is injected into the lips for subtlety and to add fullness and definition. Results typically last between six and nine months.
One of the newer hyaluronic gels, it is the first FDA-approved hyaluronic acid dermal filler that is proven to be safe and effective for persons of color. This “next-generation” dermal filler provides volume and hydration to the lips. Immediate results are expected after treatment, and typically last about six months before additional injections are needed.
As a best in class plastic surgeon, Dr. Gowda provides highly personalized and comprehensive care. His philosophy regarding the physician/patient relationship is based on trust and has earned him one of the most respected reputations in South East Michigan. The top rated plastic surgeon uses the latest techniques to provide the most natural-looking results possible for your cosmetic lip augmentation procedure.
For more information about the varying lip augmentation techniques or to make an appointment please contact our Detroit, Michigan plastic surgery practice:
Novi, MI Plastic Surgery Office
26850 Providence Parkway
Novi, MI 48374
Troy, MI Plastic Surgery Office
3270 West Big Beaver
Troy, MI 48084